Thursday, November 10, 2011

Fleeting Glimpse, part 17

Sarah opened her eyes and found herself in a place she hadn't seen in a long time. It was a garden. She was surrounded by trees with leafs of pink, flowers bordering the trees in all colors of the rainbow. There was a small pond nearby, and within it there was a glimmer of gold fish. Just beyond the pond sat a small table with two chairs, with a tea set on it. Sarah looked from the table to the boy sitting in the chair.

"You are real!" Sarah exclaimed running towards the boy with brown-red hair. She had never been more relieved to be in a dream, and to see Jeff again. Sarah felt tears forming in her eyes as she ran towards him. Now she could get some answers, now she could know the truth.

Jeff stood up and opened his arms wide. Sarah ran into his arms and felt his warm embrace. It felt as real as when she had held his hand in the hospital. "You are real." Sarah cried into his chest, feeling his arms around her. He held onto her arms, but took a step back and examined her for a moment. Before Sarah knew what was happening, his face got closer to hers. She closed her eyes and felt his lips touch upon hers. They stayed like that for a moment, Sarah felt an excitement dance across her whole body. It was her first kiss. Even if it was a dream, it was real to Sarah, and with a real boy. She didn't want it to end, but eventually Jeff pulled away from her.

"Sarah...I was searching for you for so long. I thought you were gone forever. But..." Jeff seemed uncertain how to continue.

"What is it Jeff? What is going on? You are in a coma? What?" Jeff put a finger against her lips to get her to stop talking.

"I...I can't explain it all yet. I'm afraid that it may be too late for you too." Jeff looked sadly at Sarah, his big blue eyes seemed to be looking into the depths of her soul.

"What do you mean?" Sarah felt angry and lost again. She thought that finding Jeff would suddenly answer all her questions. "You know what's going on don't you? Why can't you tell me?"

Jeff stood in silence for a moment, and then he pointed to his left. The trees seemed to part where he pointed, and there was the large dark tower. "There. There I can answer everything for you."

"The tower?" Sarah seemed confused.

"It's all more complicated than you can imagine. And you, well you have quite an imagination Sarah. I wish I could just tell you everything but there is something stopping me. It's in that tower and if we can destroy it I can tell you everything and we can escape from this nightmare." Jeff looked sadly at Sarah again. "First do you remember this place?"

"I..." Sarah stopped and looked around her for a moment, trying to get the memories to come back to her. "This is...this is my secret garden! I remember! Before my dad died, he went on a lot of business trips. He told me that if I thought about this place before I went to sleep, I could meet him here. But then he died, and I came here looking for him, but he wasn't here anymore." Sarah remembered her disappointment in that fact as clear as day. "But then..." Sarah trailed off.

"Yes. We met here as well. You were crying at this table. I remember finding you here and you couldn't even tell me what was wrong. That was almost ten years ago now." Jeff smiled slightly at the memory.

"But what does that have to do with anything?" Sarah asked concerned.

"It really doesn't, but yet it does. I just wanted to know if you remembered the first time we met. But now of course, I'm afraid that you can't leave your dreams anymore."

"WHAT?" Sarah exclaimed full of fear. She tried to wake herself up, but found that she couldn't.

"We are trapped here. That dark tower has a power over us. It is keeping us here. If we can destroy what's in there, well that's the only way we can escape. That dark tower is the answer to everything." Sarah started to cry as Jeff told her all of this. He took her into his arms again. "It's okay Sarah. We have each other. We can do this."

"But what about all my friends in the real world? My mom? If I can't wake up, what will happen to me? What's going on here? I don't understand anything. I'm so confused." Sarah wailed into Jeff's arms.

"Sarah there was something I wanted to tell you, a long time ago but I was too scared. Sarah, I love you. I think I've always loved you. I was happy that all my dreams were with you because that was the only way that I could spend time with you. I love you."

Sarah was shocked at Jeff's sudden confession. She had never felt as close to another guy as she felt to Jeff though. She whispered back to him. "I...I think I love you too."

Jeff smiled. Sarah was happy that she could be with him, but she wanted to be with him in the real world, not in her dreams. She had made up her mind. "Okay, let's go to the tower, let's destroy whatever it is we need to. Let's met back up in the real world so you can tell me everything." Sarah felt confident that she could do whatever was necessary to get back to the real world.

"Alright then! Let's go!" Suddenly the two of them were flying in the air. Sarah wasn't sure how it was happening, and was scared to let go of Jeff, but when she did she found she could fly on her own. They whipped through the air, feeling the wind blow against their skin. The ground was far below them, the secret garden started fading into the distance, and the terrible dark tower loomed ever closer.

---

Emily woke up with a terrible feeling in her heart. Her head was still resting on Sarah's chest, but she could hardly hear her heart beat anymore. Emily pushed herself up, trying not to panic. The light was just barely beginning to come up, filtering through the blinds in the windows. She whispered into the dimness "Sarah?" Sarah's body did not move.

Emily quickly started to shake Sarah, the panic in her heart rising up. "Sarah wake up, please wake up!" Sarah still lay almost lifeless in the bed.

Emily started to scream. "Sarah! PLEASE WAKE UP! SARAH!!!"

Tina was woken up by the loud screaming emanating from her daughter's room. She rushed in to see what was the matter, and found Emily hovering over her daughter, shaking her and yelling. She turned to see Tina enter the room, and with tears in her eyes cried out "Sarah won't wake up...she won't wake up."

Snow started to gently fall outside. The coldness seemed to permeate the room, leaving the two awake inhabitants in a storm of their own.

---

Sarah and Jeff arrived at the tower. It was taller than she had remembered in her dreams, and foreboding. It was even more terrifying in person than it had been in her dreams. A black fog surrounded it, and as they got closer to it, it was harder and harder to move. It was as if the black fog was weighing them down. No plants grew near the base of the tower, the ground around it was completely barren. They walked up to it, unable to fly any further.

"Are you sure you want to do this Sarah?" Jeff sounded nervous.

Sarah was scared, yet she knew she really had no other choice. "What else can we do?"

"We can remain here, in this dream forever?" Jeff said with a hearty sigh.

"Well that's not really an option at all? This isn't like the dreams we've had before. This is a nightmare now. We have to escape it Jeff. Don't you want to see you friends and family again?"

Jeff didn't reply. He looked towards the tower and took Sarah's hand. "Okay, let's do this. I don't know exactly what terrors await us inside but we can do it if we have each other." Jeff gave Sarah a kiss on her cheek. Sarah blushed slight at this act. She wasn't used to being so intimate with someone else, but it felt nice all the same. Together they walked forward under the heavy black fog, and reached the door to the tower. They both put their hands on the door, and pushed forward, and into places unknown.

Words this part: 1529
Words total:
32551

No comments: